Sometimes you just have to indulge in those little food fads from time to time. My current obsession: acai. Packed with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, the Brazilian purple berrylike fruit is one of the most powerful out there. Benefits include slowing down the aging process, lowering cholesterol, burning fat, but most importantly, it reduces free radicals and improves heart health.
From acai vitamins to chocolate covered acai, this super-fruit has taken the world by storm. But my favorite concoction derived from this craze is definitely the acai bowl.
There are endless possibilities with the acai bowl – I can experiment, add and manipulate the ingredients (and my creativity) to the max. So I decided to mix things up a little and transform this super-bowl into a super protein bowl perfect for post-workout cravings or a balanced breakfast!
Jacob’s Acai Protein Bowl
- Base Ingredients:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries strawberries & raspberries (mixed)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 scoops whey protein powder
- 2 scoops Acai powder or 1 Acai pouch (4 oz.)
- 1 cup skim milk
- For garnish:
- 1/2 cup granola
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh raspberries
- Combine all base ingredients in a blender
- Blend on high until the chinks are broken down and the mix has formed into a smoothie-like consistency.
- Pour acai base into a bowl
- Arrange the toppings/garnish in stripes for an Insta-worthy creation